The Gloyd house was a large Victorian home built onto the original Benjamin Gaither house. Note Gaither's old fieldstone chimney on the left side of the Gloyd home. During the Civil War, as Union and Confederate forces passed through Gaithersburg, the Gloyd home was used as a hospital for the wounded. By the late 1950's increasing commercial development made the property less desirable as a residence, and the home was sold to the telephone company. The house was demolished in 1958.