Gaithersburg

By the late 1800's Gaithersburg was becoming a city of business and commerce. The train stopped several times a day, bringing salesmen and summer vacationers to this once sleepy village. The travelling salesmen usually stayed at the Forest Oak Hotel. John B. Diamond and Ignatius T. Fulks were the first owners of this hotel and made "a specialty of the transient trade", which was "headquarters for mercantile men."