Gaithersburg
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

 

Thomas Cannery in Gaithersburg
Wiencek + Associates Thomas Cannery

Located at 3 East Diamond Avenue, the Thomas Cannery operated from 1918 to 1962 and was the only food cannery in Montgomery County, as well a major employer in Gaithersburg. The cannery was damaged by a fire in 1962 and never resumed operation after that. The photo on the left was taken in 1986 and as you can see, an excellent job was done in preserving this structure, which now houses offices as well as a spa. "COMMENTS"

 

 

historic Belt building in Gaithersburg
Growler's in Gaithersburg

The Belt Building is located at the intersection of Diamond and Summit Avenues. It's the oldest commercial property in the city and was built in 1903, after Belt's original building (built in 1879) was lost in a fire.

John A. Belt brought his business to town to take advantage of the railroad. By the turn of the century, his emporium was one of the largest in Montgomery County. Belt was an active civic leader in Gaithersburg and his building was the preferred location for lectures, theater, recitals, musical presentations and high school graduations.


In later years this building has been home to many businesses - W. Lawson King's Auto Showroom, George Woodfield's Maytag Service, Walker's Grocery, Frank Ciarrachi's Restaurant, Clark's Photography, McMurtray's Floral Arts, Armand's Pizzeria, Summit Station Brewery and currently Growler's.

Click here to view photographs of the Belt Building before it was restored.
"COMMENTS"

 

 

Gaithersburg Civic Center
Gaithersburg City Hall

Gaithersburg City Hall was once the home of Edward P. Schwartz. In 1913 Mr. Schwartz planted a peony garden on this land that stretched from the railroad station to Hutton Street. At the time it was the largest peony collection in the world. The City purchased the estate in 1958 and renovated the house for municipal offices and the peony garden was later moved to Seneca Creek State Park, where it barely survives today. "COMMENTS"

 

 

Gaithersburg peonies
Wells Robertson house in Gaithersburg

Built in 1890, the Wells-Robertson house is a great example of late Victorian-style architecture. Today, the home serves as a transitional housing program for homeless men and women in recovery from alcohol and drug addiction. The program provides a very structured and supportive living environment for persons who are committed to their recovery and need assistance putting their lives back together. "COMMENTS"

 

 

north summit avenue
summit avenue gaithersburg

North Summit Avenune, then and now. "COMMENTS"

 

 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16